• The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

     Helps eligible NY residents attending in state post-secondary institutions pay for tuition

    • Depending on the academic year in which the student begins study, an annual TAP award can be as high as $5,000. 
    • Part-time TAP helps eligible New York residents in state, post secondary institutions on a part-time basis for tuition.
    • It is avaliable for students who complete requirements as full-time, first-time freshmen in 2006-2007 or thereafter and meet other part-time eligiblity requirements.
    • Because TAP is a grant, it does not have to be paid back!!


    Who is Eligible for TAP?

    • Must be a US Citizen, or eligible non-citizen
    • Be a legal resident of NY
    • Study full-time (at least 12 credit hours per semester) at an approved postsecondary institution in NY
    • Have graduated from High School within the US or have a GED, or have passed a federally approved exam demonstrating the student can benefit from the education offered
    • Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing
    • Have at least a cumulative "C" average after receipt of two annual payments
    • Be charged at lease $200 tuition per year
    • Not be in default on a student loan guaranteed by HESC or on any repayment of state awards
    • Meet income eligibility limitations


    What are the award amounts?

    You can estimate your TAP award at www.hesc.org Here are the basic categories:

    • Dependent Undergraduate Student- Award range $500-$5,000
    • Independent Undergraduate Student- Award range $500- $3,025
    • Graduate Student- Award range $75-$550

    Awards cannot exceed the maximum amounts shown or 100% of tuition, which ever is less.  Eligible students can receive a maximum of eight years of combined undergraduate/graduate assistance.


    What determines the Amount of the Award? 

    • Type of postsecondary institution and the tuition charge
    • NYS net taxable income- up to $80,000 (combined, family) for dependent undergraduate students or students who are married or have tax dependents; up to $10,000 for single financially independent undergraduate students with no dependents
    • Other family members enrolled in college
    • Academic year in which first payment of TAP or any state award is received


    How do I apply? 

    • Start anytime by applying for a Federal Student Aid Persional Identification Number (PIN) at www.pin.edu.gov . Your parents will also need to apply for a PIN if you plan to complete the FAFSA online.  Your pin number will arrive in about one week
    • Complete and submit the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.edu.gov .  If you are a NY resident applying to a college in NY, you should apply for TAP online using the link on the FAFSA Submission Confirmation page.
    • You will be prompted to get a HescPIN which you will use to electronically sign, keep track of or make changes to your TAP application.  The application deadline is May 1 of the academic year for which the aid is sought.