Welcome to Stockbridge Valley Central School
2015-2016 Course Outline
Provide students with the information and knowledge necessary to make healthy informed decisions in regards to their own, as well as others, mental, emotional, social, and physical health and well-being.
Topics to be Covered:
The main topics covered in middle school health are:
A Healthy Foundation, Mental/Emotional Health, Bullying, Growth & Development, Child Abuse & Domestic Violence, Tobacco, Alcohol & Other Drugs, Nutrition, Fitness & Weight Management, Communicable & Noncommunicable Diseases
Required Material for EVERY class:
- Health Notebook
- Health Education textbook (books stay in classroom, unless told otherwise)
- Be on TIME and in your SEAT when the bell rings (3 lates = a lunch detention)
- Be PREPARED EVERY DAY for class (if not prepared you must go back to your locker to get what you forgot and it counts as a late)
- Be RESPECTFUL at all times, to teachers and classmates
- RAISE YOUR HAND and wait to be called on
- Have your HOMEWORK out and ready to hand in at the BEGINNING of class
- If LATE or UNPREPARED a warning will be recorded in the grade book
- DETETION (lunch or after school)
- Phone call home
- Referral to Principal
- If the student does not have HOMEWORK completed by the beginning of class they have to come sit with me and start/complete their work for the first 15 minutes of THEIR lunch period
- All homework will be posted daily on the whiteboard.
- If a student is absent, they must come to Mrs. Bingel for any missed work. This is the students RESPONSIBILITY.
- DO YOUR OWN WORK! I encourage working together but I DO NOT want to see copying/cheating. If you need help ask Mrs. Bingel.
- Your health grade will be based on a points system. Points will be accumulated through tests (25%), quizzes (15%), projects (30%), class work (15%), homework assignments (5%), and preparation/participation (5%).
- All students will be allowed to re-submit homework assignments for a higher grade. The grade of the original and the re-submitted work will be averaged together.
- Students who fail to hand in the original homework assignment on its due date will NOT be allowed to re-submit.
- There will be a 5 point deduction for everyday an assignment is late
- (Late = work is not handed in at the beginning of the period on the date it is due)
Mrs. Bingel will be available during planning periods or by appointment. Please do not hesitate to come for extra help if you do not understand something.
Dear Parents/Guardians and Students,
To become the most successful student you can be we must all work together. It’s very important that parents be involved in the academic lives of their son/daughter. I ask parents that you make out-of-class assignments a top priority to ensure that your child gets the most out of this class that they can. If a positive support system is provided through all environments; school, home, and community, students will be able to achieve sound mental, emotional, social, and physical well-being. Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have any questions about your child’s progress. (315-495-1937 or email@example.com)
Parent/Guardian Signature _____________________________ Date _____________________
Student Signature ____________________________________ Date ______________________
PLEASE RETURN BY NEXT HEALTH CLASS for extra credit!
Health & Physical Education