Smart Schools Intro
The Smart Schools Bond Act was passed in the 2014-15 Enacted Budget and approved by the voters in a statewide referendum held during the 2014 General Election on Tuesday, November 4, 2014. The Smart Schools Bond Act (SSBA) authorized the issuance of $2 billion of general obligation bonds to finance improved educational technology and infrastructure to improve learning and opportunity for students throughout the State. The SSBA requires that a Review Board review and approve districts’ Smart Schools Investment Plans before any funds may be made available for the program. (Source: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/mgtserv/smart_schools/ )The funding allocation for Stockbridge Valley Central School is $635,106. A portion of these funds is reserved for school security upgrades. The remainder will be used to purchase technology equipment over the next 3-4 academic years according to the district technology investment plan. Both the technology plan and investment plan are reviewed, amended, and submitted annually.
Smart Schools Timeline
As part of the Smart Schools Bond Act, each school district is required to complete an annual survey of their technology plan. The plan for 2015 was developed by the SVCS Technology Committee during April and May of the 2014-2015 school year. Our technology plan survey was approved by the NYS Education Department on September 11, 2015.
Technology Survey Submission and Approval Log:
Smart Schools Investment Plan Timeline
- May 26, 2015 - Initial Submission to the MORIC for Review.
- June 23, 2015 - MORIC requested clarification regarding professional development.
- June 24, 2015 - Clarification response sent to MORIC.
- August 6, 2015 - MORIC review complete. Survey certified for submission to NYSED.
- September 1, 2015 - Survey submitted to NYSED by Mr. Michael Sandore, Interim Superintendent.
- September 11, 2015 - Survey approved by NYS Education Department
- June 6, 2016 - Technology survey updated for 2016-2017 school year.
- September 2016 - Technology survey approved.
- April 13, 2016 - Investment Plan Posted to Website / Begin Public Comment Period
- May 17, 2016 - Public Hearing as part of Budget Hearing
- May 17, 2016 - BoE Approval
- May 18, 2016 - Investment Plans 01 and 02 Submitted to NYS Education Department
- August 29, 2016 - NYSED request for additional information regarding coordination with teacher prep colleges.
- January 13, 2017 - Investment Plan 01 (Teacher Laptops) approved by NYSED Review Board
- February 10, 2017 - Laptop quote updated and laptops ordered.
- March 6-9, 2017 - NYSED request for additional detail on Security Camera Proposal. Information supplied.
- April 27, 2017 - Laptops received.
- May 2017 - Application for reimbursement for laptop expenditure submitted to NYSED.
- May 1 - June 23, 2017 - Laptops configured and distributed to teachers.
- June 20, 2017 - Investment Plan 02 (Security Cameras) status: In Review Board
- July 14, 2017 - Investment Plan 02 (Security Cameras) approved.